1 Activate your card
- Activate your debit Card¹, set your 4-digit PIN and get your balance by calling 1.800.240.0223
- Review your Cardholder Agreement, and Fee Schedule & Transaction Limits
- Sign the back of your Middle Class Tax Refund Debit Card
2 Use your Card²
- Shop anywhere Visa® Debit Cards are accepted: in-store, online or by phone³
- Get cash back at the register when making PIN debit purchases at participating merchants
- Find a surcharge-free in-network ATM where you can get cash
- Learn more about how and where to use your California Middle Class Tax Refund Debit Card in the help center
3 Get your balance
You must be a California resident on the date this payment is issued and for six months or more of the 2020 tax year and have filed your 2020 tax return by October 15, 2021. Visit the eligibility information section on the Franchise Tax Board website for more.
The Middle Class Tax Refund payment is based on California adjusted gross income brackets. Check the Payment Estimator to understand how much you received. Use the estimator on the Franchise Tax Board website to get your estimate.